Fire Prevention Tips
- By Hostmaster
- 0 Comments
Hundreds of thousands of house fires destroy homes and lives every year. In addition to fire damage, smoke and carbon monoxide are also dangers to consider. Read on for some tips to keep yourself, your family, your pets, and your home safe.
- Smoke detectors: A must on every level of your home. Install them inside or near all bedrooms, kitchen, and hallways. Make sure to change the batteries regularly, keep the fixture clean. They should be replaced every 10 years.
- The Red Cross tests smoke detectors, and will install alarms at no cost for those in need. Contact the NWOH Chapter office at (419)422-9322, or stop by their Findlay location at 125 Fair St. during office hours.
- Carbon monoxide detectors: Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. It can come from fires, or other heat-producing things such as a malfunctioning or inappropriately-vented furnace, fireplaces, or engines.
- Fire Extinguishers: A good addition in different areas of the house – near heaters, fireplaces, and especially in the kitchen, Make sure all family members are trained in how to operate it.
- Escape Plan: Make a plan with the whole family, and go over it regularly. If you have a multi-floor home, or live on an upper level that does not have a built-in fire escape, an escape ladder is an important investment.
- Fireplace and Furnace Inspections: Make sure nothing is blocked, that bricks are in good shape, etc. Bring in the professionals if you’re not sure things are 100%, or if you’re not sure what to look for.
- Residential Sprinkler System: If you’re building a new home, or remodeling, this is a heat-activated safety feature to consider.